Trump Damage Report – 12/27/2017
Criminal enterprise, not-like-Churchill, NeverTrump stands, impeachment army, killing birds, election interference in Russia, Muellertime!, back to work, most admired, and Kwanzaa greetings from the White House. All this and more in your daily Trump Damage Report for Wednesday, December 27th, 2017.
- Trump is “running a criminal enterprise out of the White House”, according to Howard Dean, MSNBC reports. The Trump crime syndicate includes money laundering, bilking contractors out of funds, using bankruptcy to avoid payment of debts, and defrauding students in a sham university. Also: political corruption and wanton graft, just to name a few.
- Huckabee says that Trump is like Churchill, and historians really disagree, The New York Times reports. Churchill was a skilled orator and served his nation’s military. Trump isn’t, and hasn’t. Churchill fought a war. Trump wants to start one.
- “Never Trump” will be the only faction standing on the Republican side of the fence when he’s gone, The Atlantic reports. Everyone else will be left holding the very large bill.
- “We have tapped into something”, says Tom Steyer about the impeachment drive building a digital army to take on Trump, Politico reports. If you do not yet favor impeachment, you are expressly not paying attention.
- Trump is in favor of killing birds, The New Republic reports. No exaggeration here, in that the Trump administration will no longer enforce the Migratory Bird Treaty Act to go after energy companies for killing birds with their production via smokestacks, pollution, or windmills.
- Russia is accusing the United States of “direct interference” in its elections, Business Insider reports. This is one of the tactics employed by Russian intelligence and Trump himself, in fact – if you are guilty of something, accuse someone else of the exact thing. It muddies the waters and reduces the discourse. It is remarkably effective. “I’m not the puppet. You’re the puppet.” “No one ever thought healthcare would be so complicated.”
- Fake comments on government websites are being used to attack another Obama policy – this one is the fiduciary rule, The Daily Kos reports. The rule requires that financial industry individuals who advise you on your retirement plan do so while acting in your best interest – not necessarily theirs. Trump and pals hate that, in that they want to return to financial advisers being able to lie.
- Trump’s legal team is readying an attack on the Traitor Flynn’s credibility, The Washington Post reports. Flynn has flipped, and will be attempting to give up the bigger fish. To offset that, his former boss is hoping to mark Flynn as a liar.
- Russia is taking great efforts to make Americans doubt Robert Mueller, experts are warning, Newsweek reports.
- Meanwhile, Mueller is reportedly zeroing in on the Trump campaign’s data operation, as well as the RNC itself, Business Insider reports. Here’s hoping that the investigation will lead to Cambridge Analytica.
- Mueller is hauling in RNC staffers in the Russia probe while Trump is fuming over the investigation, Shareblue reports.
- Trump’s horrific choice for judge includes Thomas Alvin Farr, a product of the white supremacist machine, The New York Times reports.
- Trump immediately went golfing after tweeting “back to work”, New York Post reports. Workin’ hard, or hardly workin’? The latter, Donny. The latter.
- Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton retain the most admired titles, according to Gallup.
- Trump is a dangerously weak president, Vox reports. He is in possession of staggeringly little political capital, has no diplomatic or political base to speak of that he can mobilize, and is essentially legislatively neutered. He will, however, serve as a signatory to anything the Republican monsters in Congress want, right up until he is impeached.
- Trump’s dark regulation is explored in a sizable piece worth your attention over at ProPublica. Summarized, rolling policies back and changing laws are only part of their tactics – slowing things down, mucking up the system, and simply not enforcing policies in place is par for the course.
- Trump today celebrated the “joyous time” of Kwanzaa, Joe My God reports. No, not a typo. Trump had previously declared Kwanzaa was a fake holiday.