Trump Damage Report – 8/20/2017
The weekend does not guarantee a lack of damage from Trump – there is no escape, only an increase or decrease in velocity and spread of the damage. Teen pregnancy prevention funding cut, killing crazy stuff, it’s not about monuments, op-ed smorgasbord, Sunday show absence, Afghanistan distraction, Bannon vows vengeance on Jewish parts of the administration, liking losers, and Sharia – where? All this and more in your daily Trump Damage Report for Sunday, August 20th, 2017.
- Trump cut funding for Teen Pregnancy Prevention, Axios reports. Possibly bowing to pressure from Sarah “Caribou Barbie” Palin, insisting that there’s simply nothing that can be done to prevent teen pregnancy.
- Top Trump administration officials won’t quit because “You have no idea how much crazy stuff we kill”, Axios reports. What gets out is simply the god awful stuff they can’t stop. Imagine the detritus left on the cutting room floor.
- The Vice correspondent who was at the Charlottesville rally said the Nazis present were not discussing the Confederate monument, rather they chanted about Jews, The Hill reports. As many have suspected, the monuments are just a fig leaf and an excuse to gather.
- The entire Editorial Board of The New York Times tears Trump a new one in a sizzling op-ed, The Failing Trump Presidency. “A nation led by a prince of discord who seems divorced from decency and common sense.” They pull no punches.
- The Los Angeles Times is not outdone in their own editorial board op-ed, asserting that Trump’s “worst qualities were on display: his moral vacuity and his disregard for the truth, as well his stubborn resistance to sensible advice.”
- The Trump administration provided no official presence on the Sunday shows, Axios reports. The expectation would have been that any host would insist the discussion revolve around Trump’s supportive comments of Nazis.
- Bannon is out, and not coincidentally, Breitbart is now going after Trump’s national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, The Hill reports.
- Trump plans to announce his plan for Afghanistan on Monday in a TV address, Axios reports. Here’s a huge hint: It’s Obama’s plan, but involves more troops, and claiming credit.
- Trump just disbanded a federal advisory committee on climate change, The Washington Post reports. Trump and his cabal insist that the climate crisis is not happening, that the temperature increase is fake news, and that Al Gore is trying to make money off of fearmongering. It is, it isn’t, and he’s not, respectively.
- Trump ally and Senate hopeful Alabama’s Roy Moore says that whole communities in the Midwest are under Sharia law, which PolitiFact reports as a Pants on Fire lie. Someone please ask Mr. Moore, who is perfectly fine with mixing religion (as long as it is his) and state, which communities he means, exactly?
- President Bannon has pledged to “go nuclear” on “West Wing Democrats” and has vowed to target Ivanka and Jared, The Telegraph reports. He really, really, really hates Jews. And happens to subscribe to a nationalist ideology. So…draw what conclusions you may.
- Trump loves the Confederacy, but since when does he like losers? Salon asks. That is rather odd, isn’t it? Didn’t Trump himself say that he likes people who win? The Confederacy most assuredly did not win.